Caulfield Cup Schedule, Cash Prize Will Change due to COVID-19
NEW SOUTH WALES, Australia – Josh Blanksby has announced that there would be modifications in the schedule and prize money for the Caulfield Cup.
On Monday morning, the chief executive officer of the Melbourne Racing Club (MRC) shared his thoughts on radio station RSN927.
Blanksby acknowledged that this year, international racehorses have the possibility of falling away.
He explained that this scenario comes after governments around the world have imposed travel restrictions because of the coronavirus or COVID-19 crisis.
Another factor is the racing shutdown in Ireland and the United Kingdom, he said.
Also, Blanksby relayed that at this point, his group would generally be plotting their plan, including the opening of the Caulfield Cup.
Nevertheless, the MRC head remarked that the coronavirus pandemic had made this activity become all left for future consideration for them.
At the moment, he affirmed that horse racing organisations are merely concentrating on making sure they could carry on with the competitions and performing everything they could.
Blanksby cited that the MRC is presently planning to conduct the Caulfield Cup in its typical October schedule, based on the report by Australian horse racing news and information website Racenet.
However, he said that, with the uncertain times, such slot could get altered.
Blanksby pointed out that they are hoping to return as normal in time, with a massive amount of sporting events taking place through November and December 2020.
Aside from the schedule of the Melbourne horse racing event, Blanksby also discussed the possible modifications in the prize money given to winners of the competition.
Racing New South Wales and the Australian Turf Club had implemented prize money reductions for the Championships earlier this week.
Blanksby affirmed that the MRC would also most likely carry out the same measure for the Caulfield Cup.
According to the report from Just Horse Racing, the Melbourne horse race held at the Caulfield Racecourse is presently worth $5 million.
This amount of cash prize given away to the winner comes after the $2-million increment two years ago.
Nevertheless, in the wake of the health emergency crisis impacting the world, Blanksby relayed that for this year, such amount given to the champion is likely to get reduced.
The MRC chief cited that his group had desired to collaborate with all the horse racing clubs and Racing Victoria.
He explained that they would like to ensure that the adjustments they would be implementing are according to what is necessary and performed in a coordinated manner.
Blanksby remarked that the upcoming Caulfield Cup could have a new landscape. He confirmed that the next Melbourne sporting event could be very dissimilar to what it used to be as well.
The MRC chief executive officer pointed out that he is unsure if global participation would be a priority on the plan of spectators.
These participants would typically come and take part in the sporting event, he said.
The Caulfield Cup is a horse racing competition which takes place under handicap conditions for racehorses aged three years old and older.
The MRC organises it, and this year, its schedule is supposedly on October 17, according to horse racing website Punters.
Jockey Damian Lane and racehorse Mer De Glace of racehorse trainer Hisashi Shimizu bagged the prize last year.
With Sportsbet, Master Of Wine is presently the $7.00-favourite in this year’s Caulfield Cup odds.